DAST-117L Operative Techniques I Lab
Credits 0 / 4 Contact Hours
Pre-requisite: Placement into ENGL-100 (ACSR-100), completion of ELAP-120 with a 2.0, or completion of RDNG-030, ACLT-075 or ACLT-076. Co-requisite: DAST-117 and DAST-117C .
The lab portion of DAST-117 Operative Techniques I
Upon completion of this course by following a routine procedure that meets stated protocols listed for each section below, the student will:
Delivery of Dental Treatment
• Explain and demonstrate the positioning of the assistant and operator for treatment in any area of the oral cavity. • Demonstrate the neutral working position and exercise that can reduce muscle fatigue and strengthen muscles • Explain the basic concepts of four-handed dentistry. • Explain the importance of instrument exchange in four-handed dentistry procedures. • Describe and demonstrate various instrument grasps. • Identify and demonstrate the basic types of instrument exchanges used at chairside. • Explain and demonstrate the step-by-step procedure for common instrument exchange procedures. • Describe and demonstrate how to maintain a fulcrum rest.
Pain Control in Dentistry
• Demonstrate the placement of a topical anesthetic agent before the injection of a local anesthetic agent • Demonstrate the preparation, disposal and care of an aspirating local anesthetic syringe. • Demonstrate the hidden syringe transfer technique.
Disinfection and Sterilization
• Demonstrate the process of precleaning contaminated dental instruments. • Demonstrate the process of preparing instruments for sterilization in an autoclave, chemiclave, and dry heat sterilizer. • Demonstrate steps necessary to effectively use the autoclave, chemiclave, and dry heat sterilizer
Moisture Control Techniques
• Describe and demonstrate the grasps and proper positioning of the dental assistant when using the high volume oral evacuator tip. • Describe and demonstrate the placement of an evacuator tip for any given operative site. • Describe and demonstrate the procedure used in complete mouth rinse. • Describe and demonstrate the use of the AWS syringe in maintaining a clear operating field. • Describe and demonstrate the step-by-step procedure in dental dam isolation.
Dental Instruments and Accessories
• Demonstrate the maintenance and sterilization of low and high-speed handpiece. • List the parts of a bur. • Identify the various shapes, sized, types, and functions of carbide and diamond burs and other common rotary devices. • Describe the new technology of dental instrumentation.
Restorative and Cosmetic Dentistry
• Describe the use for and demonstrate the assembly of the Tofflemire retainer, matrix band and wedge
Oral Diagnosis and Prevention
• Demonstrate the use of common abbreviations and symbols during charting exercises from audio tapes, computer-based activities, and clinical oral examinations. • Demonstrate the step-by-step procedure for obtaining diagnostic impressions • Demonstrate the step-by-step procedure for oral hygiene instruction in the clinical setting.