DAST-117C Operative Techniques I Clinic
Credits 0 / 4 Contact Hours
Pre-requisite: Placement into ENGL-100 (ACSR-100), completion of ELAP-120 with a 2.0, or completion of RDNG-030, ACLT-075 or ACLT-076. Co-requisite: DAST-117 and DAST-117L.
The clinical portion of DAST-117 Operative Techniques I
Upon completion of this course by following a routine procedure that meets stated protocols, the student will demonstrate competency and complete in the clinical setting:
Disinfection and Sterilization
- the process of cleaning and disinfecting a treatment room.
- the process of pre-cleaning contaminated dental instruments.
- the process of preparing instruments for sterilization in an autoclave, chemiclave, and dry heat sterilizer.
- steps necessary to effectively use the autoclave, chemiclave, and dry heat sterilizer.
Moisture Control Techniques
- the grasps and proper positioning of the dental assistant when using the high volume oral evacuator tip.
- the placement of an evacuator tip for any given operative site.
- the procedure used in complete mouth rinse.
- the use of the AWS syringe in maintaining a clear operating field.
- the routine care of the HVE system.
- the dental dam and its use in moisture control.
- the step-by-step procedure in dental dam isolation.
Oral Diagnosis and Prevention
- an intraoral examination.
- an extra-oral examination.
- charting a dental examination utilizing common abbreviations and symbols.
- the step-by-step procedure for oral hygiene instruction in the clinical setting.
Operative Techniques Summary
- a videotape of various chairside assisting aspects according to distributed criteria.