DAST-125 Operative Techniques II Clinic
Credits 2 / 4 Contact Hours
Pre-requisite: Placement into College Level Reading, completion of ELAP-120 with a 2.0 or higher, or successful completion of ACRD-090, ACRD-091 or ACRD-092. Co-requisite: DAST-120 , DAST-121 , DAST-122 , DAST-123 , DAST-124 , DAST-126 , DAST-127 and DHDA-114 . Note: Division signature is required for registration.
This course is designed to provide the student with an opportunity to assist a dentist with operative chairside dental procedures in a clinical setting. Students will assist the dentist during a variety of procedures including amalgam and composite restorations.
1. Prepare instrument tray set-ups and operatories as requested by the dentist
2. Position the operating team and patient for various procedures
3. Place topical anesthetic, and assist the dentist with local anesthesia injections
4. Maintain a clear operating field through the use of high-volume evacuation and air/water/spray syringe during various cavity preparations
5. Mix and pass various cavity medications as requested
6. Mix and pass various restorative materials, including amalgam and composite, to the dentist as requested
7. Exchange instruments in the correct sequence during operative procedures using a single-handed technique
8. Assist the operator with various finishing sequences
9. Provide post-operative instructions to patients as necessary
10. Record all procedures provided, onto patient charts, including anesthetics, medications and restorative materials
11. Clean and disinfect operatories, and process all instruments and handpieces for sterilization