MUS.-291 Music Theory III
Credits 4 / 4 Contact Hours
Pre-requisite: Placement into ACRD-090, ACRD-091 or ACRD-092, completion of ELAP-110 with a minimum grade of 2.0, or successful completion of ACRD-080; Minimum grade of 2.0 in MUS.-192 . Co-Requisite: MUS.-295 .
A course of study in more advanced musicianship. Continuing a review of music fundamentals the course proceeds to a study of the principles underlying tonal relations.
- Identify 6/4 chords and tonic expansion, progressions, embellishing tones
- Identify Dominant substitutes
- analyze and know Secondary dominant chords to V
- Identify additional applied chords to non-V scale degrees
- analyze and construct a Modulation to closely related key
- Identify and create borrowed chords
- Identify and construct augmented sixth chords
- Identify and create Neapolitan sixth chords
- analyze and construct Chromatic mediant harmony
- identify and construct Modal mixture
- Identify and create a Modulation to foreign key
- Identify Extended harmony and orchestration