May 28, 2023
GEOG-251 Crime MappingCredits 3 / 3 Contact Hours
Pre-requisite: Placement into ACRD 080 ; Basic computer knowledge highly recommended.
This course is the study of the Geographic Aspects of Crime. Students will examine Crime Mapping with a comprehensive approach including its history and crime pattern analysis. The course will incorporate the use of crime mapping technology. Computer software will be used for data creation statistical analysis and to display crime patterns. This is a core course in the Criminal Justice program.
1. Describe the history of mapping crime
2. Describe the role of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) in mapping crime
3. Describe the Elements (Components) of a properly formatted map
4. Describe Longitude and Latitude
5. Describe the Public Land Survey System
6. Describe the Concentric Zone Model
7. Describe the Social Disorganization Theory
8. Use the internet for research
9. Execute the basic operations of GIS software
10. Execute the query & edit functions of a database
11. Analyze crime data using computer software
12. Create a properly formatted map