ART.-259 Conceptual Book Design
Credits 3 / 6 Contact Hours
Pre-requisite: Placement into RDNG-030 (ACSR-030), completion of ELAP-110 with a minimum grade of 2.0, or successful completion of RDNG-016 or ACLT-074 with a minimum grade of 3.0; DESN 130 with a minimum grade of 2.5.
This course immerses students in projects that explore the book as a conceptual art form, and a means of self-expression encompassing storytelling through image, type, as well as 2D and 3D forms. Of interest to both fine arts and graphic design majors, students will be encouraged to use both traditional and nontraditional materials in their creative projects.
● Achieve creative conceptual development of various book forms.
● Achieve technical mastery of various book forms.
● Master basic techniques in a variety of bookbinding methods.
● Master techniques in folding and construction methods.
● Explore and apply traditional and nontraditional use of materials in creating book forms.
● Apply various techniques for creating text and images and incorporating and transferring them into the book form.
● Create works that demonstrate an exploration of the relationship of form and content through the creative conceptual book as art form and expressive medium.
● Explore a variety of different forms from traditional codex to complex folded forms for interpretation and application to various projects.
● Explore and analyze contemporary artist book forms for synthesis in course projects.
● Explore and analyze historical book forms for their applications in conceptual book design.