Jan 27, 2023
JAPA-211 Intermediate JapaneseCredits 4 / 4 Contact Hours
Pre-requisite: Placement into RDNG-030 (ACSR-030), completion of ELAP-110 with a minimum grade of 2.0, or successful completion of RDNG-016 or ACLT-074 with a minimum grade of 3.0. Pre-requisite: JAPA-112
Intermediate Japanese emphasis on the reading and writing of Japanese phonectic characters (Katakana and Hiragana). Also Kanji (Chinese characters) will be introduced. The study of grammar and sentence structure will continue. Students will be required to converse in Japanese.
- Converse in a clearly participatory fashion by initiating, sustaining, and bringing to closure a variety of communicative tasks in the target language.
- Write predominantly descriptive and narrative texts of a few paragraphs in length on familiar topics demonstrating the ability to integrate grammar, vocabulary, style, content, and organization in the target language.
- Demonstrate an acute awareness of the cultural meaning of language.
- Narrate stories and situate events in time in the target language.
- Read short stories in the target language.
- Integrate common expressions in conversation in the target language.
- Talk about the future and express future conditions in the target language.
- Talk about current world issues in the target language.
- Express opinions, probability, and doubt using the subjunctive in the target language.
- Debate issues and justify opinions with arguments in the target language.
- Write an argumentative letter in the target language.
- Talk about feelings and emotions using target grammatical structures such as reflexive verbs in the target language.
- Give advice using advanced grammatical structures using the target language.
- Develop new insights into the nature of language and culture that will allow them to establish comparisons not only between languages, but also between the Hispanic cultures and their own.