Jul 07, 2020
SOCY-191 Introductory SociologyCredits 3 / 3 Contact Hours
Pre-requisite: Placement into RDNG-030 (ACSR-030), completion of ELAP-110 with a minimum grade of 2.0, or successful completion of RDNG-016 or ACLT-074 with a minimum grade of 3.0.
A systematic study of human behavior in groups; the socialization of individuals into their culture; the formation and functioning of different kinds of social groups; and the processes of stability deviance and change in society.
- Explain the history of Sociology, important thinkers in the discipline and the importance of the Sociological Imagination
- Differentiate between Functional, Conflict and Symbolic Interaction theoretical models.
- Demonstrate the research methods and analytic processes used in Sociology
- Summarize the purpose and significance of culture in human societies
- Summarize the process of socialization in society
- Analyze social interaction in everyday life
- Summarize how social groups and organizations form the basis of society
- Analyze Deviance and Conformity in Society
- Explain Social Stratification in society
- Summarize the dynamics of race & ethnicity in society
- Summarize the dynamics of gender stratification in society
- Explain the function and diversity of family as a social institution
- Summarize the functions and dysfunctions of education as a social institution
- Explain the function and diversity of religion as an institution in all societies
- Discuss Politics as a social institution concerned with the exercise of power in society
- Explain the dynamics of population and urbanization on modern societies
- Analyze social action and the dynamics that lead to social change in society