ART.-244 Publication Design for Print
Credits 3 / 6 Contact Hours
Pre-requisite: Placement into RDNG-030 (ACSR-030), completion of ELAP-110 with a minimum grade of 2.0, or successful completion of RDNG-016 or ACLT-074 with a minimum grade of 3.0; Pre-requisite: ART.-145 and ART.-146 with a minimum grade of 2.0.
This course focuses on both the conceptual and practical applications designing various types of communications pieces with an emphasis on type, image, and message. Students will gain skills in the design, planning, and production of a variety of publication designs. Current graphics industry standards software will be used while students learn how to prepare their design work for commercial printing or online dissemination.
● Apply the basic principles of publication and typographic design.
● Arrange word and image together to create effect communication pieces.
● Gain experience in the design of various types of publications.
● Apply typographic skills to new levels as an important design tool that communicates from small elements such as paragraphs on a page, to multi-page publications.
● Analyze type dimensionally through its application in a publication, exploring the playful use of type, space, margins, etc.
● Distinguish and support decisions made regarding the details of professional typographic and publication design such as linespacing, letterspacing/kerning, and type selection.
● Apply previous art/design experience such as 2D design and color theory to the design of publications.
● Design, plan, and apply important production techniques in publication design using InDesign’s features such as MasterPages, Paragraph & Character Styles.
● Demonstrate proficiency and publication design and production skills using Adobe’s Creative Cloud products including InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop.